Monday, October 7, 2013

Week Two: “To Run, or Not To Run: That is the Question.”



This week I have heard a series of strange creaking, cracking noises coming from various parts of my body. Apparently, it has decided to become its own orchestra of pain instead of the cool, running machine I want it to be. 

My entire childhood I thought adults were lying to me, or at the very least exaggerating, when they moaned about this ailment or the next, warning, that it would someday happen to me. Kids! Be warned! It is not a lie! Father time is here to kick ass.

Seriously body, I am not an eighty-year-old woman, no matter what you are trying to say. As I am racked, left and right, with shin splints, knee pain, foot pain, hell, even elbow pain (I still can’t figure out why…) it is then, that I am left with the dilemma: to run or not to run….

This is where I meet an old nemesis: doubt. Am I being a baby, or do I risk worse injury by running?

I finally splurged and got a running coach. It turns out that I am not alone. I am not the only runner that ended up hobbling home sooner than anticipated, feeling like they were just hit by a rather large bus. I am not the only one to start to lose heart. With a smile, my coach asked me not to give up hope. The secret to finding my Zen in working out: listen to my body (even if we happen to be fighting at the moment). It knows when it needs to rest and when it needs a run.

When the pain hits I take a deep breath and a quick 30 seconds
       to tune into my body.  

I remind myself it is only temporary
REST is AN important part of running
It is ok
I’m ok
Come on, stop lying to me Dad.

Run or Walk, Jog or Sleep, It is all a part of improving my body. I get so caught up in the goal or the stats of running: I ran 1 mile today, I ran 4 miles the next, that I forget that the reason I started running in the first place was to feel healthy. How can that happen if I run my body into the ground?

Week two: I take the scheduled breaks my running coach gave me and a little more if needed. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment