Monday, October 21, 2013

Week Four: "Friend or Foe?"

Last weekend, I found myself speeding to work, trying to stuff my face with a last-minute meal. The broccoli, over-steamed, was stone cold, as were the carrots. Sitting conspicuously next to the veggies, was a formidable, previously frozen, cheesy, bacon sprinkled, chicken-like substance, waiting to be consumed. I shudder now, thinking about the meal, and even more, thinking about how I had felt halfway through my shift.
I teeter between viewing food as a reward system: I was good and worked out, so I can have some ice cream vs. viewing food as an enemy needing to be conquered as in "Damn, I ate some ice cream, now I need to work out." Now, I am beginning to wonder if my entire view on food is a bit corrupt…
Today’s 30 Seconds is used to take a closer look at the chemical compounds I call food…
This is not the first time that I have sought enlightenment on the subject. I have had many conversations with friends about it. The theme changes slightly from time to time, but it always comes down to this:
Is my food friend or FOE?
Bringing an emotional element into meal preparation is easy. A friend once recommended looking at food purely as a source of fuel. Many athletes view it the same way. They push aside worries of calories, carbs and gluclose, and focus on what will help perform optimally. If I constantly eat something that slows my system down, I am only working against myself. I am adding a stress to my body that it just doesn’t need. If I want my body to last, I will take time to look at how I am treating it.
This week: I will look at food with fresh eyes. I will give my body the energy it needs to perform its best for the day and help my body stay as young as it possibly can, for as long as it possibly can.

No comments:

Post a Comment