Monday, October 14, 2013

Week Three: “Hear me roar!”


(borrowed from Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pin/554787247817947974 )





This week was a long continuous struggle with writing. It is an absolute paradox to me that something that is so invigorating and rewarding to me, also can be such a pain in my butt. Instead of a smooth working relationship, my writing and I occasionally become locked a viscous wrestling match.

This week was one of those times.

Simple emails, this blog, and especially my novel were almost nonentities these past few days. Words were a twisted jumbled mess in my brain and came out even uglier. Things that normally took a few minutes to jot down, took closer to an hour. Resisting the urge to throw my coffee and the nearest human being, I took the time to ask whyThis week’s 30 seconds was used to look at my blocks in life.

Tucked away neatly behind my blocks to writing, is fear.
Fear is my driving force behind resistance.
Fear of failure.
Fear of imperfection.
Fear of vulner-
abil
ity.
It takes a lot of courage to let it go. It takes a tremendous amount of bravery to put it all out there. The blank all-knowing, all-showing page of paper can be my sword, if I let it. It is a fact I often forget. Weeks like this, give me the imagery of a lion looking in the mirror and seeing a mouse, instead of the strong, fierce being it is. It is not the writing I am struggling with; it is myself.  When I am feeling small I will set my pen down and tell that mirror it is wrong!

I am strong.
I am brave!
I can do it!

Next week: When I run into a block I will take my 30 seconds to roar like the lion I am and remember that I am capable of anything!



No comments:

Post a Comment