Monday, October 28, 2013

Week Five: “Where Art Thou?”



It’s much like a magic trick, how quickly I can make money disappear. It’s impressive, really, and would be more so, if anyone could ever find a use for the skill. Ha. One might say I have a super power that no one wants.

This week, I took a closer look at what was slowing me down financially. I had recently paid off some debt (yay!!!), lowering my monthly expenses, but I still seemed to have just as little money at the end of the day. It was disconcerting to simple not know where my money was going.
Working over forty hours a week
Having little debt
And no money???

This was not a fun riddle for me!! What the heck? Playing Where’s Waldo with the green things that run so much of my life was quite an eye opener. I need change! (no pun intended) ;) Before I panicked, I took my 30 seconds to see what was the problem. Obviously, it was a compilation of seemingly [small] expenditures that were mobilizing to overthrow me. 

By disrespecting the small change in my pocket, I had inadvertently given over the power of my entire financial well being to these various mini-pleasures. What has Starbucks prevented me from doing year? Going on a trip?
Oh that's were I put it.
What was it that my dad always said?
Oh yeah.
Budget. (egh.)

Getting over my initial reaction to this uninspiring and tedious word, I start to look at it in a different light. A budget will
give the power Back to me.
It helps me to move from financial Reaction to financial Choice. This next year may still have just as many visits to the Cafes as the last, but taking ownership of my spending choices ahead of time makes all the difference.





No comments:

Post a Comment